Thursday 5 July 2012

Siblings Together

I read on Lynne's blog, Lily's Quilts, about a wonderful charity called Siblings Together. The charity runs camps for siblings who have been seperated by the care system where they can spend valuable time with their brothers and sisters. Lynne put out a call for quilts which could be given to the children at the camp as a personal momento to remind them of the wonderful time spent with their siblings. Lynne has written an excellent post here about the quilts etc. and Delma who runs the charity gives a very moving account of the charity and the camps.

I was concerned that there may be a lack of quilts for older boys (the age range is 7-17) and I had limited fabrics to make a whole quilt so I decided to volunteer to make a quilt from donated blocks.
 This is part of the discussion that I posted on the flickr group which explains my reasoning for wanting to make a quilt for a young man.

"Hi, I'm Maria and i would like to make a quilt for a teenage boy. It probably won't be long before some of these boys reach the age when they leave the care system and have to make their own way in the world. I am guessing that many probably don't have much in the way of personal possesions to take with them to their new home which, ( I'm guessing again) may be a bedsit or a room in a hostel. Perhaps his own personal quilt may give some comfort to a young man in his new home."

I thought simple 9 patch blocks would be quick and easy for the volunteers to make. A wonderful bunch of quilters from England, Canada, Holland and Isreal sent fabulous blocks and the lovely Charlotte volunteered to provide the backing and binding and quilt and bind the quilt. Katy of I'm a Ginger Monkey fame donated some fabric which I made into blocks. In the end we had enough blocks to make two quilts in two colourways. I put the quilt tops together and Charlotte quilted the blue one and I quilted the brown one. Here are the completed quilts.




I haven't got a picture of the blue quilt quilted but there is one on flickr here...............................I pressed publish and then remembered that I made another quilt! This one is certainly not for an older boy!


Bye for now, Maria.

1 comment:

Fran said...

Great ideas for boys!