Sunday 30 October 2011

Bloggers Quilt Festival Fall 2011, My Entry.

I decided it would be fun to enter a quilt into the Blogger's Quilt Festival which is generously hosted by Amy of Amy's Creative Side.

Amy'sCreativeSide



I've shown the progress of this quilt before but apart from sewing in a few threads it's now finished. The quilt was started way back in 2008 when I decided to make a quilt in the style of Kaffe Fassett, I borrowed a couple of his books from the library for inspiration and chose this one. Unfortunately I can't remember the name of the book, the quilt was called the Postcard Quilt and if my memory serves me correctly it was inspired by a quilt in London's Victoria and Albert museum. It was made by Liza Prior Lucy and is a medallion quilt.

Image taken from the book, sorry about poor quality.

 This quilt was made using templates which I didn't fancy so I adapted the design to use rotary cut fabric. My quilt isn't an exact copy of the one in the book, I just used Kaffe's as inspiration.

The quilt required lots of different fabrics, I bought a few but many were scraps and the purple inner border fabric was retreived from a friends rubbish bin!

This was the first time I had attempted such a large quilt and it spent long periods of time lonely and forgotten in a cupboard until the urge would strike to work on it again.

 I'm proud to say that I quilted it on my domestic sewing machine. When I started the quilting it felt like a very daunting prospect, trying to wrestle such a large, heavy quilt through the machine was quite a struggle at times. I soon realised it was best to concentrate on a small area at a time and try not to look at the rest of what needed to be done . 





After a while of quilt photography, which wasn't easy on a dull breezy day, some quilt photography hysteria set in!
Thanks to husband and ten year old son for help with taking the photos.
Thanks also go to Amy for hosting the quilt festival, I was planning on visiting and commenting on the blogs of all  the other entrents but as the number of entries now stands at 345   I don't think I'll quite manage it, but I'll visit as many as I can.
Maria.

30 comments:

Jolanda said...

Stunning quilt! I love your colors:)

Pattilou said...

WOW! I can't imagine making that many flying geese in a quilt. They are so wonderful.

Simone de Klerk said...

Beautiful, Maria! You were really inspired by Fassett, but gave your very own great touch to it!
What fun you must have had while taking the pictures (o:
Have a happy week.

Miri said...

Gorgeous! Simply gorgeous!

Love the variegated thread you used for the quilting: perfect!

Rachaeldaisy said...

Wow! What a gorgeous quilt!!! So much work has gone into it! The colours are so beautiful!! Well done for quilting it yourself. Love the photo at the end, lol !

Annabella said...

I love Kaffe Fasset and this quilt is simply stunning! So much work, the fabrics are gorgeous, the design amazing and your quilting is fabulous. You must be so proud. I love it!

Julia Graber said...

Not only is your quilt lovely, but your pillows are awesome. Great job, well done.

Lynn said...

What a beautiful quilt, really stunning. The fabrics and colors are outstanding. It looks like 10 year olds make good quilt photographers!

Catherine said...

wow, this is a gorgeous quilt. my daughter just said 'it must've taken ages', then I saw that you had started it in 2008! well done for persevering!

Shari said...

WOW! Just love this! Great colours and I love the different blocks in each border. What a great medallion quilt! Imagine quilting that in a domestic machine! Love the varigated thread in the quilting. I'd love to do one of these 'one day'.

Mary said...

What a beautiful quilt and what an accomplishment to quilt it yourself...congratulations on completing and quilting such a beautiful quilt!

Rebecka said...

Your quilt is stunning!!! I love it! Your fabrics are my favorite. Thanks for sharing your beautiful quilt.

BunkHouseQuilts said...

Very, very nice! Love the quilting with your variegated thread. Perfect! I too worked on a quilt for almost 4 years. Isn't it a great feeling? Looks like you had a fun photo session.

Sarah said...

That is amazing!!!!

WOW you have done a brilliant job.

WHat are your plans for it. ON your bed? TV quilt???

Jane said...

What a love of a quilt!

trish said...

Your quilt is just gorgeous!!

LJ said...

Beautiful!!

kelly said...

WOW, this is stunning!!! great job, maria!

Val Coles said...

Gorgeous!!

Leslie said...

this is beautiful...so bright and colorful...the last shot is the best

KendasCrafts said...

Looks great! So colorful and fun!

Lyanna L. said...

Beautiful quilt - it looks like I have the same sewing machine as you. It's nice to know other people quilt huge quilts on it as well...although sometimes my frustrations make me wish I had the space/money for a long arm machine!

Cynthia said...

What a pretty quilt! I am amazed that you quilted it on your sewing machine! Great work!

Diane Bohn said...

This is lovely! You did a marvelous job!I love it! How big is it? I am currently working on a quilt for my niece that will be ~80" by 90" and I am kind of freaking out about the thought of quilting it in my machine. Your pictures are very reassuring! ;) I love your quilting as well!

and thanks for stopping by my blog! I'm so glad you did so I could find your blog! :)

Martine Kuciel said...

j'aime beaucoup ces couleurs douces et acidulées superbe réalisation

Heidi said...

This is a wonderful quilt and I love, that you didn't do an exact copy. Gorgeous colours, too

Little Island Quilting said...

Very pretty quilt.

Eileen said...

Beautiful quilt. Love almost every fabric and quilt i've seen of kaffe and yours is a great example in the manner of! Lovely colors...definitely my favorites. Thanks for sharing and have a great day

CHRIS said...

Great quilt and love the colours too. Templates put me off this one but its on my list.

Habibti at Home said...

I love the last picture! Adorable!!