Wednesday 9 September 2009

Mini-Quilt finish.

I've finished my quilt for the flickr Doll quilt swap an flickr and It's now in the mail. Have a look here for some photos of what other members of the swap have been upto. There's some beautiful work.

I showed a picture of my quilt in my last post when it was in the nearly finished stage.
I'm pleased with how it turned out. The pattern for the applique flower is from a book called "Making scrap Quilts to use it up" by Lynne Edwards. She is a local author (Suffolk, UK) who was recently awarded the MBE for her work as a quilter and author. My mother-in-law remembers her when she first started patchwork. She used to sit on a bench hand stitching hexegans whilst my husband (when he was a child!) and her children played in the village play area.
 The quilt in the book uses lots of the flowers, I'm afraid my patients only stretches to one though. I just used the pattern for the applique and designed the rest of the mini-quilt myself.






Bye for now, Maria


13 comments:

Sherri said...

Oh, I just love it! I love each and every fabric in the flower!

Anonymous said...

That is lovely -the totally right balance of colour. Well done for getting it in the post on time.

Chrissy said...

I love your quilt. It is one more thing added to the balance of shall I learn to quilt - it is definitely tipping very heavily towards the YES!

Anonymous said...

I love your mini quilt, it is just gorgeous!! The hand quilting is devine. I love your cushion too. Beautiful bright colours.

What kind of Bernina are you getting??? I'm so jealous. I'd like a new one.

Simone de Klerk said...

Such a lovely quilt, Maria! You did a wonderful job, designing it. It will make the one who receives it, very happy.
It was fun going through the quilts others made. Some very very nice ones!
Have a lovely Sunday (O:

Gone to Earth said...

That's really lovely Maria. The colours and fabric prints all look look great. It must have taken absolutely ages to make.

Asiyah said...

Very cute and the fabrics are fabulous. Your partner will love it!

Ravenhill said...

Oh, how pretty! It just radiates joy in the lovely colors and design! Well done!!!
~Emily xx

Renee said...

that is just beautiful - I really like the colour palette you have used. It is so... spring! Very very pretty indeed :)

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Stunning...I love the stitching around the flower.

Sal said...

Hi there!
Thank you for your kind comments on my blog when I was ill...very much appreciated!
Love,Sal ;-)

zigzago said...

Hi Maria, your quilt is beautifull!... I love the colours you used! Hugs, Renata.

Indigo Blue said...

Oh I just love this!! The colours, shape and design!
x